Preparing Your Home for Fall Weather
It's that time of year when the leaves are creating their beautiful color display across New England and are rapidly falling to the ground in preparation for winter. Here at SERVPRO of Norwich and Windham County we are also preparing for the Fall season, although we have no colorful leaves to offer, we do have some tips to help prepare your home for the Fall weather ahead.
While we cannot prevent the leaves from falling on your roof, patio, lawn, walkways and driveway, here are a few things you can do to keep your home safe.
- Clean out your gutters before too much piles up and clogs your gutters causing a potential ice dam during the winter months.
- Raking isn't fun, but keeping your walkways, patio, driveway and yard clear of leaves will keep everyone safe, especially wet leaves which can easily cause a fall.
- Consider planting a colder-weather garden in the ground now and clean up any plants that have overgrown during the hot summer months.
Now is the perfect time to inspect and service your furnace, hot water heater and any duct work before you need them. Replace any filters and make sure that all connections are tight. If you have a fireplace or wood-burning stove, now is a great time to get your flu serviced before the temperatures dip too low
Daylight is getting shorter, so check and replace the burned out light bulbs on the inside and outside of your house.
- Go around your house and check to make sure all your windows are properly shut so no heat is escaping and your home is staying warm and energy efficient.
- Stock up now on sand, ice melt, shovels and anything else you might need once the temperatures get below freezing and the snow starts flying and those items start flying off the shelves!
For many of us, Fall is their favorite time of year. So, visit an apple orchard, carve a pumpkin, decorate with some mums and enjoy everything pumpkin spice, after all it only comes around once a year, so don't miss it!