Hurricane Season is here in Eastern Connecticut!
Hurricane season is here and we here at SERVPRO of Norwich and Windham County want to make sure that you are ready if a hurricane's course heads towards eastern Connecticut. We have be hit hard in the past and have some tips and information to help you stay safe before and after a storm.
Whether it’s a hurricane or tropical storm, the effects can be catastrophic.
What’s the difference between hurricanes and tropical storms?
A tropical storm has sustained winds of 39-73 mph, a hurricane has sustained winds over 73 mph. In addition to wind damage, flooding and water damage, whether a hurricane or tropical storm can cause significant damage to people and property.
Before a storm approaches here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Have an evacuation plan in place and evacuate if necessary
- Put up plywood to board up windows or use hurricane shutters
- Bring in any outdoor items that may be damaged or picked up from the wind
- Have a tub of water full
- Get a full tank of gas in your vehicle
- Have your phone fully charged and have a portable charger
- Have extra cash on hand
- Have your important documents such as passports, birth certificates, insurance policy information, social security cards, etc. in a waterproof container and easy place to grab in a hurry
Some additional supplies to have on hand include:
- Bottled water
- Fire extinguisher
- Week supply of vitamins and/or medications
- Pet supplies
- Wet wipes
- Duct tape
- Multipurpose tool
- Rain gear
After a storm hits:
- Listen to the new and radio for updates
- Stay off of the roads and drive only if necessary
- Stay away from water where live wires or electricity could be present
- Do not drink water that may be contaminated
- Inspect your home for any damage, take pictures for insurance purposes
- Do not use candles if you lose electricity, use flashlights
- Check your fridge for spoiled food
Stay safe this hurricane season and if you experience any damage please contact us at SERVPRO and Norwich and Windham County, where we are ‘Faster to any size disaster’.
We are here for you and any restoration needs and can help with cleanup, restoration and work with your insurance.