The Start of a Great Race Season!
Johnny O with his first win on May 30th
Every year SERVPRO of Norwich and Windham County sponsors our own Johnny O in the #51 Legend car and the SK Lite Modified race cars. The season started out rainy, but is now if full swing.
Wednesday we race the Legend car and so far, the #51 has had a good season. John is in 3rd overall in the season points standings. He has been in the top 5 twice, the top 10 four times and has his first win of the season on May 30th!
Saturdays are for the SK Lite Modifieds. John is also in 3rd in the overall season standings. He has been in the top 5 two times and in the top 10 three times.
There is a lot of racing yet to come and we are hoping for more wins and a great race season. If you are in the area, come on down to the Waterford Speedbowl on Wednesdays and Saturdays to cheer on our own Johnny O in the #51!
10 Fast & Easy Spring Cleaning Tips
Have your cleaning supplies ready!
Spring is here and in New England it is more than welcome after a cold and snowy winter!
Spring weather means spring cleaning! We all want to enjoy the outdoors, so here are a few tips to help get you enjoy both the outdoors and the indoors.
- Make a schedule and tackle a room a week or if you are ambitious, a room a day!
- Make sure you have the supplies you need so there is no reason to procrastinate.
- Have a donate and trash bag ready as you are cleaning so you can immediately dump the trash and put your donations in the car.
- Use a HEPA filter vacuum to help get rid of even more impurities and allergens in the air.
- Get green and save money by mixing your own cleaning supplies. A quick search online with give you tons of easy recipes with items you already have in your home.
- Use old socks as dust rags, wrap a towel around your broom for hard to reach spaces and use newspaper to clean windows and mirrors and try using a wet dryer sheet to clean your ceramic stove tops.
- Now is a good time to wash all your bedding while you change out to lighter sheets and comforters.
- Assign each member of the house a different task so you can divide and conqueor your spring cleaning even faster!
- Make sure to clean your sofas and carpets after lots of winter show binging!
- Open the windows, put on some music and have fun!
Have some carpets or furniture that got some extra love this winter? Call SERVPRO of Norwich & Windham County to get all the dirt and grime out! We make it "Like it never even happened."
Quiet Corner BNI Visitors Day, May 2, 2018
If you are local business owner looking to grow your business and would like to join our networking group, we are having a Visitor's Day on May 2nd from 7:30am - 9am.
SERVPRO of Norwich and Windham county is represented in the cleaning category.
Be sure to bring plenty of business cards.
Thank you for Nominating SERVPRO of Norwich & Windham County for best Cleaning Company!
Please vote for us today!
Thank you all for nominating us in The Norwich Bulletin's 2018 Readers Choice Awards!
Click here https://bit.ly/2JbplCO to vote for us under Businesses > Cleaning Company.
Thank you for all of your support!
Willimantic Waste Paper Co. Smoke, Soot & Smell
Fire officials work a fire Sunday at a Willimantic Waste Paper Co. Inc. building adjacent to General Cable. (Mark Mirko / Hartford Courant)
The massive fire at Willimantic Waste Paper Co. this weekend resulted in a total loss, but fortunately no one was injured. Fourteen fire companies banned together to help get the massive fire under control. U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal praised the quick response and said it serves as a model to the country.
The fire left a 100,000 square foot shell remaining behind. There is still much cleanup and the surrounding areas are seeing damage from the fire as well and will take quite some time.
The cause of the fire has been ruled undetermined due to the extensive heat and fire. For now there is no indication of foul play.
If your home or business is near The Willimantic Waste plant and you have smoke, soot or odor from the fire, SERVPRO of Norwich and Windham County can help clean up the mess and remove the odor and the damages may be covered under your homeowners insurance policy.
Click here to learn more about the fire.
SERVPRO Racing has a Great Season!
SERVPRO is a proud sponsor of Johnny O's #51 Legend and SK Lite Modified car!
Two divisions, two great seasons for O’Sullivan
There’s one word that describes John O’Sullivan’s 2017 season at New London-Waterford Speedbowl — improvement.
Here’s how much he improved. O’Sullivan finished second in the Saturday Legends division by just 24 points to Kyle Rogers.
In the SK Lights, O’Sullivan was third in the standings, finishing 50 points behind champ Dana DiMatteo. O’Sullivan and Keith Rocco were the only two Speedbowl drivers to finish in the Top 3 in two separate divisions.
O’Sullivan was more than just a versatile driver — he was a successful one.
“I would say we went into last season with a good car in both divisions,” O’Sullivan said. “I had a good crew and we were shooting for the best every week. If I wasn’t out in front, it’s because I was in the wall.”
At one point during the season, O’Sullivan had the point lead in both divisions.
He was especially hot in the Legends. He grabbed two quick wins on Wednesday, and then grabbed his first ever win on Saturday.
Read the full article here
Hurricane Season is here in Eastern Connecticut!
Hurricane season is here and we here at SERVPRO of Norwich and Windham County want to make sure that you are ready if a hurricane's course heads towards eastern Connecticut. We have be hit hard in the past and have some tips and information to help you stay safe before and after a storm.
Whether it’s a hurricane or tropical storm, the effects can be catastrophic.
What’s the difference between hurricanes and tropical storms?
A tropical storm has sustained winds of 39-73 mph, a hurricane has sustained winds over 73 mph. In addition to wind damage, flooding and water damage, whether a hurricane or tropical storm can cause significant damage to people and property.
Before a storm approaches here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Have an evacuation plan in place and evacuate if necessary
- Put up plywood to board up windows or use hurricane shutters
- Bring in any outdoor items that may be damaged or picked up from the wind
- Have a tub of water full
- Get a full tank of gas in your vehicle
- Have your phone fully charged and have a portable charger
- Have extra cash on hand
- Have your important documents such as passports, birth certificates, insurance policy information, social security cards, etc. in a waterproof container and easy place to grab in a hurry
Some additional supplies to have on hand include:
- Bottled water
- Fire extinguisher
- Week supply of vitamins and/or medications
- Pet supplies
- Wet wipes
- Duct tape
- Multipurpose tool
- Rain gear
After a storm hits:
- Listen to the new and radio for updates
- Stay off of the roads and drive only if necessary
- Stay away from water where live wires or electricity could be present
- Do not drink water that may be contaminated
- Inspect your home for any damage, take pictures for insurance purposes
- Do not use candles if you lose electricity, use flashlights
- Check your fridge for spoiled food
Stay safe this hurricane season and if you experience any damage please contact us at SERVPRO and Norwich and Windham County, where we are ‘Faster to any size disaster’.
We are here for you and any restoration needs and can help with cleanup, restoration and work with your insurance.
Summer Mold Prevention in Norwich / Windham County
The summer heat and humidity is here in eastern Connecticut and no one wants mold to creep in their homes. Here are some simple tips to keep in mind to keep the mold out:
- Keep your home clean
Mold likes moisture, so make sure your surfaces are clean and dry.
- Keep the humidity under control
Running fans, air conditioners and a dehumidifier can keep your home free from mold and keep you comfortable when the heat and humidity are high
- Keep the air moving
Circulating the air in your room can help to prevent mold from growing, especially when using the shower, stove and other appliances
- Keep an eye out for condensation
Look in areas for condensation and clean immediately to stop mold before it starts
- Take care of any leaks
Leaks create moisture and mold loves moisture, so repair any leaks you find right away
Mold tends to grow in hard to see places, particulariy inside walls and under carpets or flooring. If you notice a musty smell in your home, chances are you have mold somewhere. If you do happen to smell a musty odor, spot some mold starting to grow or have mold already, call us at SERVPRO Norwich / Winham County for all of your mold remediation needs. We are here to help 24/7!
SUMMER FIRE PREVENTION: PART 2 - AT HOME
Be prepared for fire hazards in and around your home. Here are some things to keep in mind from SERVPRO Norwich / Windham County that can start a fire and impact you, your family and your property.
Clothes dryers are a leading cause of issues in the home and most often result from lack of cleaning.
- Don’t use a dryer that doesn’t have a lint protector.
- Clean out lint and don’t let it build up.
- Have your dryer serviced and installed by a professional.
- Remove anything hanging above the grill
- Keep grill a safe distance from trees, buildings, and anything that may burn.
- Clean grill frequently to stop grease buildup which can cause a fire.
- Keep grills away from homes and decks.
- Make sure the hose connection is tight and check the hoses for leaks.
- If the grill does not light immediately, wait at least 15 minutes for the propane to dissipate.
- When your finished turn off the grill and fuel cylinder.
- Keep clothing away from the surface while grilling.
- In charcoal grills don’t add fluid after the coals are lit, and once the coals are cooled they should be placed in metal container with tight lid.
- Keep fire manageable.
- Make sure fire is 10 feet away from any structure or combustible surface (plants, overhanging trees, buildings, furniture, et cetera).
- Be aware of the weather forecast.
- Always have a way to put out a fire (water, bucket of sand, fire blanket).
- Clean the area surrounding the fire pit.
- Keep a close eye on children if they are near the fire pit.
Around Your Home
- Remove billowy curtains or look for different insulating options.
- Store flammable products in a safe place, like an outdoor shed.
- Stack firewood away from the house in an uphill direction.
Have a Plan
- Have two escape routes out of your home.
- Have an evacuation plan with a meeting location if your family gets separated.
- Have personal identification, insurance documents and medication in known location that can be moved in the event of an emergency.
- Place valuables in a fire and waterproof box in a place for easy and quick access.
Stop, Drop and Roll
We all remember sitting through a childhood safety class and hearing the popular adage, “stop,drop, and roll” in the event of a fire situation. Keep this memorable phrase in mind if you or your loved ones are ever in harm’s way.
In the event the unexpected should happen, be sure to call SERVPRO Norwich / Windham County at (860) 887-0447. We offer 24/7 emergency service and will help you with all your fire and water damage restoration... "Like it never even happened."
SUMMER FIRE PREVENTION: PART 1 - THE OUTDOORS
With the official start of summer only days away we at SERVPRO of Norwich / Windham County would like to review some important outdoor safety tips.
Watch the weather for conditions that are optimal for wildfires:
- Low temperatures
- High winds
- Extremely dry spells
Carelessness and misuse of fireworks can lead to serious injury, so following these helpful tips to stay safe when handling fireworks.
- Check for any fireworks are bans in your area.
- Never point fireworks at people or, in the direction of structures and things that may easily catch fire.
- Abide by all local rules and regulations.
- Properly dispose of fireworks and flammable materials.
Fire pits and Campfires
A fire pit or campfire embers can travel one mile from the source of the main fire to land on roofs, decks, dry grass/leaves or in homes through any opening.
- Abide by rules in the area by paying attention to fire bans, limits, times and other regulations.
- Don’t build fires near dry leaves or overhanging tree branches
- Surround your fire with rocks.
- Keep lighter fluid and other flammable materials away.
- Be careful with how much lighter fluid you use.
- Keep fire away from tents and property and make sure it’s downwind.
- Never leave a fire unattended,
- Always put out a fire completely before you leave.
If a fire does impact you and your family call SERVPRO Norwich / Windham County at (860) 887 - 0447 for all of your fire restoration needs.