Summer Mold Prevention in Norwich / Windham County
The summer heat and humidity is here in eastern Connecticut and no one wants mold to creep in their homes. Here are some simple tips to keep in mind to keep the mold out:
- Keep your home clean
Mold likes moisture, so make sure your surfaces are clean and dry.
- Keep the humidity under control
Running fans, air conditioners and a dehumidifier can keep your home free from mold and keep you comfortable when the heat and humidity are high
- Keep the air moving
Circulating the air in your room can help to prevent mold from growing, especially when using the shower, stove and other appliances
- Keep an eye out for condensation
Look in areas for condensation and clean immediately to stop mold before it starts
- Take care of any leaks
Leaks create moisture and mold loves moisture, so repair any leaks you find right away
Mold tends to grow in hard to see places, particulariy inside walls and under carpets or flooring. If you notice a musty smell in your home, chances are you have mold somewhere. If you do happen to smell a musty odor, spot some mold starting to grow or have mold already, call us at SERVPRO Norwich / Winham County for all of your mold remediation needs. We are here to help 24/7!
SUMMER FIRE PREVENTION: PART 2 - AT HOME
Be prepared for fire hazards in and around your home. Here are some things to keep in mind from SERVPRO Norwich / Windham County that can start a fire and impact you, your family and your property.
Clothes dryers are a leading cause of issues in the home and most often result from lack of cleaning.
- Don’t use a dryer that doesn’t have a lint protector.
- Clean out lint and don’t let it build up.
- Have your dryer serviced and installed by a professional.
- Remove anything hanging above the grill
- Keep grill a safe distance from trees, buildings, and anything that may burn.
- Clean grill frequently to stop grease buildup which can cause a fire.
- Keep grills away from homes and decks.
- Make sure the hose connection is tight and check the hoses for leaks.
- If the grill does not light immediately, wait at least 15 minutes for the propane to dissipate.
- When your finished turn off the grill and fuel cylinder.
- Keep clothing away from the surface while grilling.
- In charcoal grills don’t add fluid after the coals are lit, and once the coals are cooled they should be placed in metal container with tight lid.
- Keep fire manageable.
- Make sure fire is 10 feet away from any structure or combustible surface (plants, overhanging trees, buildings, furniture, et cetera).
- Be aware of the weather forecast.
- Always have a way to put out a fire (water, bucket of sand, fire blanket).
- Clean the area surrounding the fire pit.
- Keep a close eye on children if they are near the fire pit.
Around Your Home
- Remove billowy curtains or look for different insulating options.
- Store flammable products in a safe place, like an outdoor shed.
- Stack firewood away from the house in an uphill direction.
Have a Plan
- Have two escape routes out of your home.
- Have an evacuation plan with a meeting location if your family gets separated.
- Have personal identification, insurance documents and medication in known location that can be moved in the event of an emergency.
- Place valuables in a fire and waterproof box in a place for easy and quick access.
Stop, Drop and Roll
We all remember sitting through a childhood safety class and hearing the popular adage, “stop,drop, and roll” in the event of a fire situation. Keep this memorable phrase in mind if you or your loved ones are ever in harm’s way.
In the event the unexpected should happen, be sure to call SERVPRO Norwich / Windham County at (860) 887-0447. We offer 24/7 emergency service and will help you with all your fire and water damage restoration... "Like it never even happened."
SUMMER FIRE PREVENTION: PART 1 - THE OUTDOORS
With the official start of summer only days away we at SERVPRO of Norwich / Windham County would like to review some important outdoor safety tips.
Watch the weather for conditions that are optimal for wildfires:
- Low temperatures
- High winds
- Extremely dry spells
Carelessness and misuse of fireworks can lead to serious injury, so following these helpful tips to stay safe when handling fireworks.
- Check for any fireworks are bans in your area.
- Never point fireworks at people or, in the direction of structures and things that may easily catch fire.
- Abide by all local rules and regulations.
- Properly dispose of fireworks and flammable materials.
Fire pits and Campfires
A fire pit or campfire embers can travel one mile from the source of the main fire to land on roofs, decks, dry grass/leaves or in homes through any opening.
- Abide by rules in the area by paying attention to fire bans, limits, times and other regulations.
- Don’t build fires near dry leaves or overhanging tree branches
- Surround your fire with rocks.
- Keep lighter fluid and other flammable materials away.
- Be careful with how much lighter fluid you use.
- Keep fire away from tents and property and make sure it’s downwind.
- Never leave a fire unattended,
- Always put out a fire completely before you leave.
If a fire does impact you and your family call SERVPRO Norwich / Windham County at (860) 887 - 0447 for all of your fire restoration needs.
Norwich / Windham County helps with flooded basements!
Eastern Connecticut has seen a lot of rain this month. Our total rainfall for the Month of May officially recorded at Bradly International airport is 3.98 inches.
All of this rain can possibly cause your basement to flood. While the flooding of a basement can occur at any time, most often flooding occurs during heavy rain or snow that is rapidly melting. Here are a few other causes of basement flooding:
- A sloping lot where water flow is toward the home
- A foundation where cracks have developed allowing water to seep in
- Issues with pipes
- A sump pump that has failed
- Sewer backup
If all the rain has not only be growing your May flowers, but also invading your basement, then call us at SERVPRO of Norwich / Windham County. We are trained water restoration professionals and are available 24 hors a day, 7 days a week to handle your flooding situation correctly.
Have you experienced any flooding?
Call us today - SERVPRO of Norwich / Windham County to help (860) 887-0447