Recent Fire Damage Posts
Safety First on the Fourth!
While celebrating the 4th Of July SERVPRO of Norwich and Windham County wants to remind you that safety comes 1st on the 4th! Fireworks account for thousands of injuries every year. Please keep the following safety tips in mind.
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks
- Older children should use them only under close adult supervision
- Never use fireworks while impaired by drugs or alcohol
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear
- Never hold lighted fireworks in your hands
- Never light them indoors
- Only use them away from people, houses and flammable material
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person
- Only light one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting
- Never ignite devices in a container
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks
- Soak both spent and unused fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding
- Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don't go off or in case of fire
- Never use illegal fireworks
Happy 4th of July from SERVPRO of Norwich and Windham County!
Willimantic Waste Paper Co. Smoke, Soot & Smell
Fire officials work a fire Sunday at a Willimantic Waste Paper Co. Inc. building adjacent to General Cable. (Mark Mirko / Hartford Courant)
The massive fire at Willimantic Waste Paper Co. this weekend resulted in a total loss, but fortunately no one was injured. Fourteen fire companies banned together to help get the massive fire under control. U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal praised the quick response and said it serves as a model to the country.
The fire left a 100,000 square foot shell remaining behind. There is still much cleanup and the surrounding areas are seeing damage from the fire as well and will take quite some time.
The cause of the fire has been ruled undetermined due to the extensive heat and fire. For now there is no indication of foul play.
If your home or business is near The Willimantic Waste plant and you have smoke, soot or odor from the fire, SERVPRO of Norwich and Windham County can help clean up the mess and remove the odor and the damages may be covered under your homeowners insurance policy.
Click here to learn more about the fire.
SUMMER FIRE PREVENTION: PART 2 - AT HOME
Be prepared for fire hazards in and around your home. Here are some things to keep in mind from SERVPRO Norwich / Windham County that can start a fire and impact you, your family and your property.
Clothes dryers are a leading cause of issues in the home and most often result from lack of cleaning.
- Don’t use a dryer that doesn’t have a lint protector.
- Clean out lint and don’t let it build up.
- Have your dryer serviced and installed by a professional.
- Remove anything hanging above the grill
- Keep grill a safe distance from trees, buildings, and anything that may burn.
- Clean grill frequently to stop grease buildup which can cause a fire.
- Keep grills away from homes and decks.
- Make sure the hose connection is tight and check the hoses for leaks.
- If the grill does not light immediately, wait at least 15 minutes for the propane to dissipate.
- When your finished turn off the grill and fuel cylinder.
- Keep clothing away from the surface while grilling.
- In charcoal grills don’t add fluid after the coals are lit, and once the coals are cooled they should be placed in metal container with tight lid.
- Keep fire manageable.
- Make sure fire is 10 feet away from any structure or combustible surface (plants, overhanging trees, buildings, furniture, et cetera).
- Be aware of the weather forecast.
- Always have a way to put out a fire (water, bucket of sand, fire blanket).
- Clean the area surrounding the fire pit.
- Keep a close eye on children if they are near the fire pit.
Around Your Home
- Remove billowy curtains or look for different insulating options.
- Store flammable products in a safe place, like an outdoor shed.
- Stack firewood away from the house in an uphill direction.
Have a Plan
- Have two escape routes out of your home.
- Have an evacuation plan with a meeting location if your family gets separated.
- Have personal identification, insurance documents and medication in known location that can be moved in the event of an emergency.
- Place valuables in a fire and waterproof box in a place for easy and quick access.
Stop, Drop and Roll
We all remember sitting through a childhood safety class and hearing the popular adage, “stop,drop, and roll” in the event of a fire situation. Keep this memorable phrase in mind if you or your loved ones are ever in harm’s way.
In the event the unexpected should happen, be sure to call SERVPRO Norwich / Windham County at (860) 887-0447. We offer 24/7 emergency service and will help you with all your fire and water damage restoration... "Like it never even happened."
SUMMER FIRE PREVENTION: PART 1 - THE OUTDOORS
With the official start of summer only days away we at SERVPRO of Norwich / Windham County would like to review some important outdoor safety tips.
Watch the weather for conditions that are optimal for wildfires:
- Low temperatures
- High winds
- Extremely dry spells
Carelessness and misuse of fireworks can lead to serious injury, so following these helpful tips to stay safe when handling fireworks.
- Check for any fireworks are bans in your area.
- Never point fireworks at people or, in the direction of structures and things that may easily catch fire.
- Abide by all local rules and regulations.
- Properly dispose of fireworks and flammable materials.
Fire pits and Campfires
A fire pit or campfire embers can travel one mile from the source of the main fire to land on roofs, decks, dry grass/leaves or in homes through any opening.
- Abide by rules in the area by paying attention to fire bans, limits, times and other regulations.
- Don’t build fires near dry leaves or overhanging tree branches
- Surround your fire with rocks.
- Keep lighter fluid and other flammable materials away.
- Be careful with how much lighter fluid you use.
- Keep fire away from tents and property and make sure it’s downwind.
- Never leave a fire unattended,
- Always put out a fire completely before you leave.
If a fire does impact you and your family call SERVPRO Norwich / Windham County at (860) 887 - 0447 for all of your fire restoration needs.