SUMMER FIRE PREVENTION: PART 1 - THE OUTDOORS
With the official start of summer only days away we at SERVPRO of Norwich / Windham County would like to review some important outdoor safety tips.
Watch the weather for conditions that are optimal for wildfires:
- Low temperatures
- High winds
- Extremely dry spells
Carelessness and misuse of fireworks can lead to serious injury, so following these helpful tips to stay safe when handling fireworks.
- Check for any fireworks are bans in your area.
- Never point fireworks at people or, in the direction of structures and things that may easily catch fire.
- Abide by all local rules and regulations.
- Properly dispose of fireworks and flammable materials.
Fire pits and Campfires
A fire pit or campfire embers can travel one mile from the source of the main fire to land on roofs, decks, dry grass/leaves or in homes through any opening.
- Abide by rules in the area by paying attention to fire bans, limits, times and other regulations.
- Don’t build fires near dry leaves or overhanging tree branches
- Surround your fire with rocks.
- Keep lighter fluid and other flammable materials away.
- Be careful with how much lighter fluid you use.
- Keep fire away from tents and property and make sure it’s downwind.
- Never leave a fire unattended,
- Always put out a fire completely before you leave.
If a fire does impact you and your family call SERVPRO Norwich / Windham County at (860) 887 - 0447 for all of your fire restoration needs.